Union County Animal Control and Shelter

Animal Control and Shelter
Animal Control Officer
1647 Jonesville Hwy
Union, SC 29379
(864) 429-2808

8:00am – 5:00pm

Animal Control Officer on duty


The Animal Control Officer has the responsibility of helping to control the animal population in Union County by picking up unwanted pets and lost or stray animals.County Animal Control service area includes the incorporated Towns of Carlisle, Jonesville and Lockhart. The City of Union provides animal control to citizens within its municipal boundaries. All animals (City and County) are transported to the County Animal Shelter located at the County Complex at 1647 Jonesville Highway (beside the Jail). This shelter is operated by the County in partnership with the City of Union.


Frequently Asked Questions

What office should be called to report barking dogs, or other animal complaints?
The Animal Control Officer takes all complaints regarding domestic animal disturbances such as barking dogs, dogs running at large, etc. within the County. The Officer will investigate the complaint and initiate action for resolution as required. Contact the Animal Control Office at (864) 429-2808.

What should be done with dead animals?

If the dead animals it is on the road way you can call SCDOT at (864) 427-3575. If the dead animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

What should be done with an injured or wounded animal?
Notify Animal Control at (864) 429-2808

Does Union County have a leash law?
Union County does not have a leash law but we have a nuisance ordinance that states an animal who habitually chases or runs after persons or vehicles, or which destroys or damages property of another person or legal entity or which causes serious annoyance to a neighboring resident and interferes with the reasonable use and enjoyment of property, shall be deemed a nuisance. With this we can require you keep your dog on your property.

What should be done or who should be called if you find or lose an animal?
Lost or missing animals should be reported to the Union County Animal Control and Shelter at 864-429-2808.

Do dogs and cats have to be vaccinated for rabies?
South Carolina state law mandates that all dogs and cats must be currently vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian and the vaccination tag must be displayed around the animals neck.

Who removes and handles wildlife such as ducks and raccoons?
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, (864) 288-1131, handles all wildlife

Adopting a Pet
The Shelter is open to the public for viewing animals available for adoption: 
3:00pm - 5:00pm

Or visit online at  www.uccs.petfinder.com 

Application for Adoption

Adoption Cost
All puppies and kittens under four months $63.00
Cats and dogs over four months $72.00
Large animals over 75 pounds Slightly more
The cost includes spay/neutering surgery, distemper shot, and adoption fee. Rabies shot for animals over the age of months.

All animals must be spayed or neutered before adoption or leaving our Shelter.
Volunteering at the Shelter
Union Animal Shelter welcomes volunteers. If you are  at least 18 years old and interested in donating your time, please complete the application below. To learn more about the rewards of volunteering click here

  Volunteer Application

(All applicants subject to approval by the County)